link - call link function
[XSI] link file1 file2
The link utility shall perform the function call:link(file1, file2);
A user may need appropriate privilege to invoke the link utility.
The following operands shall be supported:
- The pathname of an existing file.
- The pathname of the new directory entry to be created.
The following environment variables shall affect the execution of link:
- Provide a default value for the internationalization variables that are unset or null. (See the Base Definitions volume of IEEE Std 1003.1-2001, Section 8.2, Internationalization Variables for the precedence of internationalization variables used to determine the values of locale categories.)
- If set to a non-empty string value, override the values of all the other internationalization variables.
- Determine the locale for the interpretation of sequences of bytes of text data as characters (for example, single-byte as opposed to multi-byte characters in arguments).
- Determine the locale that should be used to affect the format and contents of diagnostic messages written to standard error.
- Determine the location of message catalogs for the processing of LC_MESSAGES .
The standard error shall be used only for diagnostic messages.
The following exit values shall be returned:
- Successful completion.
- An error occurred.
ln, unlink(), the System Interfaces volume of IEEE Std 1003.1-2001, link()
First released in Issue 5.