catgets - read a program message
char *catgets(nl_catd catd, int set_id, int msg_id, const char *s);
The catgets() function shall attempt to read message msg_id, in set set_id, from the message catalog identified by catd. The catd argument is a message catalog descriptor returned from an earlier call to catopen(). The results are undefined if catd is not a value returned by catopen() for a message catalog still open in the process. The s argument points to a default message string which shall be returned by catgets() if it cannot retrieve the identified message.
The catgets() function need not be thread-safe.
If the identified message is retrieved successfully, catgets() shall return a pointer to an internal buffer area containing the null-terminated message string. If the call is unsuccessful for any reason, s shall be returned and errno shall be set to indicate the error.
The catgets() function shall fail if:
- The read operation was terminated due to the receipt of a signal, and no data was transferred.
- The message identified by set_id and msg_id is not in the message catalog.
The catgets() function may fail if:
- The catd argument is not a valid message catalog descriptor open for reading.
- The message identified by set_id and msg_id in the specified message catalog did not satisfy implementation-defined security criteria.
- The message catalog identified by catd is corrupted.
catclose , catopen
First released in Issue 2.
A note indicating that this function need not be reentrant is added to the DESCRIPTION.
In the DESCRIPTION, the note about reentrancy is expanded to cover thread-safety.
Austin Group Interpretation 1003.1-2001 #044 is applied, changing the ``may fail'' [EINTR] and [ENOMSG] errors to become ``shall fail'' errors, updating the RETURN VALUE section, and updating the DESCRIPTION to note that: ``The results are undefined if catd is not a value returned by catopen() for a message catalog still open in the process.
Austin Group Interpretation 1003.1-2001 #148 is applied, adding
The catgets() function is moved from the XSI option to the Base.
return to top of page