zcat - expand and concatenate data
[XSI] zcat [file...]
The zcat utility shall write to standard output the uncompressed form of files that have been compressed using the compress utility. It is the equivalent of uncompress -c. Input files are not affected.
The following operand shall be supported:
- The pathname of a file previously processed by the compress utility. If file already has the .Z suffix specified, it is used as submitted. Otherwise, the .Z suffix is appended to the filename prior to processing.
The standard input shall be used only if no file operands are specified, or if a file operand is '-' .
Input files shall be compressed files that are in the format produced by the compress utility.
The following environment variables shall affect the execution of zcat:
- Provide a default value for the internationalization variables that are unset or null. (See XBD Internationalization Variables for the precedence of internationalization variables used to determine the values of locale categories.)
- If set to a non-empty string value, override the values of all the other internationalization variables.
- Determine the locale for the interpretation of sequences of bytes of text data as characters (for example, single-byte as opposed to multi-byte characters in arguments).
Determine the locale that should be used to affect the format and contents of diagnostic messages written to standard error.
- Determine the location of message catalogs for the processing of LC_MESSAGES .
The compressed files given as input shall be written on standard output in their uncompressed form.
The standard error shall be used only for diagnostic messages.
The following exit values shall be returned:
- Successful completion.
- An error occurred.
compress , uncompress
XBD Environment Variables
First released in Issue 4.
return to top of page