unlink - call the unlink function
[XSI] unlink file
The unlink utility shall perform the function call:unlink(file);
A user may need appropriate privileges to invoke the unlink utility.
The following operands shall be supported:
- The pathname of an existing file.
The following environment variables shall affect the execution of unlink:
- Provide a default value for the internationalization variables that are unset or null. (See XBD Internationalization Variables for the precedence of internationalization variables used to determine the values of locale categories.)
- If set to a non-empty string value, override the values of all the other internationalization variables.
- Determine the locale for the interpretation of sequences of bytes of text data as characters (for example, single-byte as opposed to multi-byte characters in arguments).
- Determine the locale that should be used to affect the format and contents of diagnostic messages written to standard error.
- Determine the location of message catalogs for the processing of LC_MESSAGES.
The standard error shall be used only for diagnostic messages.
The following exit values shall be returned:
- Successful completion.
- An error occurred.
XBD Environment Variables
First released in Issue 5.
return to top of page